Do you buy multiples of clothes?
I curate a Facebook group off my Facebook page. It is a private group for my friends and few devoted fans to freely discuss fashion, exchange tips for gifts and just learn from each other. One of the questions that came up was whether we buy multiples of clothes we love. I was surprised that all of the people who responded admitted buying multiples of clothes. So why do we do it and when should we invest in buying the same pair of jeans, shoes or blouses?
Buying multiples of the same clothes
1. If it fits right, you'll be fool not to buy a t-shirt or blouse in different colors. This is a no brainer. It is hard to find good fit, especially after our 20s. We have less time to shop, less interest, we are busy and our bodies are not the same. When you find something that fits buy extra shades, colors or pairs.
2. Colors: Men have multiple shirts and different colors. Why not women? I bought 3 tops from the same company in different colors because they just looked polished, professional and age appropriate. They also make me feel stylish and good about myself. They are comfy but at the same time elegant. It is the best investment I made. They fit when I feel bloated and take no space in my suitcase when I travel. They also require no ironing and don’t ever get wrinkles.
3. Jeans: It is impossible to find a good pair of jeans. IMPOSSIBLE. When you, do buy in quantity! I regret not buying multiples of a Zara pair of jeans that I scored at a sale back in 2012 in London. Since then I have been searching for these jeans on Ebay, Poshmark, everywhere but nothing. I don't know what I am going to do when they will get consumed. I would buy not only multiples but in a size up in case I gain weight as I did over the years and these Zara pants are a bit too tight.
4. Shoes: it is hard enough to find comfortable but stylish shoes, even harder to find them later because you have waited too long to buy your second pair. Shoes like tops can be bought in different colors and they get worn out easily.
5. White pieces: let's face it, deodorant turns everything into a yellow stain under your armpits. It is impossible to retain anything white for more than 2 years if you are like me. If you really are going to use those white dresses often, buy multiples.
Tips to buy multiple clothes
What happens when you realize you want to buy multiple colors of the same top, or pants and by the time you make that decision they are sold out? That is me every single time. Here is what I do.
Ebay: create a search and automated alerts of the brand and category. I have one set up for DailyLook Tops that I monitor all the times and this was how I was able to buy the exact same top in the exact same color twice.
Poshmark: search for your brand and item here, liked and make an offer. Inventory is not as large as Ebay, but I have scored a pair of Jeans which I had tried in the store but did not have my size.
Yoox: another site where you can find some clothing items from previous collections.
Ebay and Poshmark are my top sites. I check everyday. I also monitor the actual brand site and check for sale. One time I saw a beautiful leather bag from Lacoste in Italy that was too expensive and eventually it sold out. With patience I found it on Poshmark for a $100 less in new conditions still with tag. You may need to be patience but you’ll find what you need.
Why buying multiples of clothes is a good idea? I realized that I don't wear most of the clothes in my closet. I tend to go to the same items that make me feel good, comfortable, stylish, elegant, dynamic, you name it. It is always the same outfits or a mix of the same clothes. This is where having multiples comes in. I can assemble easily cute outfits with different colors, have a coordinated outfit and feel great. It cuts time and it makes me presentable to public.